Top Ten Reason to take Band from Gr. 9-12
1. Music instruction develops skills needed by the 21st century workforce: critical thinking, creative problem solving, effective communication, teamwork, and more
2. Music education lays the foundation for individual excellence in group settings, creative problem solving, and flexibility in work situations.
3. Being involved in music keeps students engaged in school and less likely to drop out
4. Practicing an instrument helps students achieve in other academic subjects like math, science and reading. A study published in 2010 found that regular music making strengthens nonmusical brain functions.
5. According to research published in a 2014 article in Parents magazine, learning how to play an instrument helps children develop coordination and motor skills, because they require movement of the hands, arms, and feet
6. The band classroom offers a space where students learn how to accept and give constructive criticism
7. Participating in an ensemble helps communities share ideas and values among cultures and generations
8. Learning an instrument teaches young adults about delayed gratification
9. Making music is a disciplined human endeavour with intrinsic value to society
10. Being involved in music provides students with opportunities to:
- express themselves in verbal and non-verbal ways,
- appreciate diverse perspectives, openness and flexibility in thinking,
- develop a high level of self-awareness and self-confidence,
- develop a rich and healthy sense of beauty and imagination